Пресса о Жене и интервью Жени || Evgeni - Press & Interviews

Зимние Олимпийские игры 2010 в Ванкувере || Winter Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver

Re: Другие о Жене || Others about Zhenya

Postby cekoni » 09 Feb 2010, 06:09

Parts from very interesting interview with young Brezina :plush45:
------------------------------------------------

www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2010brezina.html
By Titanilla Bőd

Michal Březina: “Practice is like competition for me”

He is admirably calm and cool. He takes everything as it comes, doesn’t worry about the past or the future - he just concentrates on his job on the ice. We talked to Michal Březina, the new hope of Czech figure skating, two days after his surprising 4th place finish at the Europeans in Tallinn.

What are your impressions about the biggest stars like Plushenko or Joubert?
- Everyone is concentrating on himself. It’s true that at the practice we have to take care and we have to follow where the others are on the ice to avoid collision, ;;-))) but everyone is concentrating just on himself and doesn’t really care about anything else....

Are you friends also with other skaters?
- I get along with the others well, but there are some guys I don’t know so well and I don’t know what to talk about with them. But the otherskaters I usually meet at competition are fine, there are no problems.

What about Plushenko?
- He is a different chapter. When he comes into the locker room, he has so many people around him that there is no chance to speak with him. He behaves as a world champion should behave, he has nothing to lose. When he competed with Yagudin, there was such a rivalry between them that they couldn’t stand each other even on the podium, so he is used to this.

What do you think about his comeback?
- I think he shouldn’t have come back, because in my opinion an Olympic champion shouldn’t come back. But he can win the gold medal at two consecutive Olympics. Probably this is his motivation.

Plushenko said after his European victory that one of the reasons for his comeback was the fact that there were world champions without a quad jump the last two years. What do you think about it, do you think the quad is important?
- The quad is the top of everything. If someone wants to win, he has to land a quad. Just look at Plushenko, Yagudin, the American and the Canadianskaters of the past – they all had a quad included in their programs and they were fantastic skaters. They managed to skate such clean programs with quads like now some skaters with triples. I think the quad is important in men’s skating. It should be an additional value. It’s acceptable to have a world champion without a quad but it shouldn’t happen too often. It’s not right if someone who can’t land a quad gets enormous scores for triple jumps and the components. :-)

What about you and the quads?
- At practice I’m landing salchow and toe-loop but I haven’t tried them in competition yet. However, next year I will have to include them into my programs, because if I want even better placements, the quad is necessary....
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Feb 2010, 08:57

Well :du_ma_et: ... similar "subject" :hi_hi_hi:
---------------------------------------------

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...prmid=obnetwork
February 8, 2010 By NANCY ARMOUR
AP National Writer

Art or sport? Figure skating strives to be both

Figure skating has long struggled to balance the art that makes it so captivating with the athleticism that makes it a sport, and the current judging system has only heightened the debate. With everything - jumps, footwork, spins, transitions, expression - now quantifiable, some complain that artistry is being sacrificed in the effort to crunch every last decimal out of a program.

Indeed, the big tricks - quadruple jumps for the men, triple-triple combinations for the women - can produce medal-winning scores. But do them without intricate footwork, fine edge quality and beautiful spins, and a performance seems hollow, little more than a blueprint.

"That debate has been going on for years," said Canada's Joannie Rochette, the world silver medalist. "Personally, I like to watch a performance where you can see artistic with athleticism together.

"Everyone has a different definition of what art is and what athleticism is," she added. "The most important thing is that you enjoy your own skating, and then other people will enjoy it, too."

The current scoring system was implemented after the Salt Lake City pairs judging scandal in hopes of reducing cheating. By assigning numerical values to every jump, spin and section of footwork, it gave judges an objective way to evaluate at least some of what skaters were doing.

The fear, though, was that it would turn skating into a jumping contest. The base level of a triple toe loop, for example, is higher than that of any spin, spiral or footwork sequence. Do a bunch of jumps and do them well, and even a first-grader can understand that math.

"I was one of the men afraid it would become a jumping contest, like men's gymnastics," said Jeff Buttle, the 2008 world champion and 2006 Olympic bronze medalist. (... and from this "fear", he is not even jumped a quad ::yaz-yk: )

In fact, it's been quite the opposite. Buttle and reigning world champion Evan Lysacek both won their world titles without even trying a quad in either the short or long programs - a complete reversal from earlier in the decade, when Tim Goebel did three quads in the free skate alone to win the bronze at the 2002 Olympics.

The risk, many skaters had decided, was too big. A quad, if done well, can earn a skater big bonus points. Fall or do it poorly, though, and you're out of the medals hunt.

There also isn't the time to devote to the quad like there once was - during the program or in training. It takes many, many hours of practice before a quad is consistent enough to put in a program. But with every other element being counted, a skater can't afford to focus so much energy on just one thing.

It's the same for the women. Mao Asada is the only top woman even trying the triple axel these days, and quad sightings are as elusive as Bigfoot. Even triple-triple combos, which Kristi Yamaguchi was doing back in '92, are no longer a must-have.

"We work on the quad, we practice the quad, but it's never been the main focus of my career," Johnny Weir said at last month's U.S. championships, explaining why he doesn't have one in his program. "It's a beautiful, wonderful thing when you can do it, but I'd rather skate a clean program and show something that's beautiful and excellent."

That attitude, though, doesn't sit well with all skaters. Brian Joubert has been at the center of dustups at the last two world championships for bemoaning the lack of quads among the top men.

"The competition was completely different. It was more fun, more exciting, and I think we have to change it," the 2007 world champion said in March, nostalgic for the days when the quad was king.

Which brings us back to the art vs. athleticism debate.

The big tricks are enjoying a resurgence this season. Reigning world champion Kim Yu-na has been doing triple-triple combos the last few years to keep pace with Asada, her longtime rival. Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko and Turin runner-up Stephane Lambiel are back, and quads have long been a staple of both of their programs.

But this still isn't freestyle skiing.

When Plushenko broke his own world record for the short program at last month's European championships, it wasn't simply because of his jumps. His spins went on for what seemed like days and were so perfectly centered the tracings looked as if they'd been made by a protractor. His footwork was exquisite.
:-):

When Jeremy Abbott won his second straight U.S. title, some people might not have even noticed he'd done a quad. Everything, from that quad to his footwork, was of the highest class, done with ease and elegance.

"When I saw him skate, I was so happy," Buttle said. "He married (art and athleticism) together. It wasn't about that one jump; it was still about the whole program."

But there are plenty who are concerned the system is stripping the sport of its beauty and individuality, and creating formulaic, cookie-cutter programs.

"It's turned everyone into robots out there doing the same spins, the same jumps," Weir said. "I don't think it's the most beautiful thing for figure skating. We've lost our individuality and our chance to be artistic."

Some have figured it out, though.

As choreographers - and skaters - get more comfortable with this system, they are finding that balance once again.

Abbott, for example, did a quad at the beginning of his long program at nationals at virtually the exact same spot on the ice as four other guys. But nothing in his program remotely resembled anyone else's.

Lysacek spent weeks this fall tinkering with his programs to change the entrances into his jumps, doing them out of steps or spread eagles. Not only does that bump up his point total, it makes his programs more unique.

"I'm trying to do layer upon layer," said top choreographer Lori Nichol, who has done Lysacek's programs for years. "I'm trying to appeal to those that I know have spent the hours and time and really understand the incredible difficulty of some of the things we're doing on the ice. And then I try to do it so that anyone can enjoy it. I think of what my mom's watching and think of what my neighbor's watching.

"How do I make this program enjoyable for them?"

Figure skating never will completely solve the art vs. athleticism debate. Skaters will always come in different shapes and sizes, with different abilities and strengths. And you can crunch numbers on everything from jumps to interpreting music, but you will never be able to tell someone how to feel about what they've seen.

But there is some common ground.

"I think good skating is the answer, and I think doing great performances is the answer. You have to have a complete package," said Carroll, who also coaches Lysacek. "It's like baking a pretty good cake. It doesn't matter how much flour you put in if that's all you put into it."
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Feb 2010, 09:09

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article. ... y=ice_news
1.2.2010. By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com

Abbott flies high under the radar
U.S. champion heads to Vancouver full of quiet confidence

ICE: Two triple Axels and a quad toe in your free skate, that's something not every top guy does these days.
- ABBOTT: It's something I'm capable of, and it's something my coaches Yuka [Sato] and Jason [Dungjen] and I feel is the next step. It's kind of always been the plan, after NHK [Trophy] we backed down the program so that I could improve and do more solid performances, and I have, so now it's time to put the [second] triple Axel back in.

And there's always a back-up plan. Obviously in the moment we'll see how things are going and where things are. The plan is to do the triple Axel but if Yuka and Jason feel I don't need it then I'll do the triple Lutz.

ICE: Do you think the men on the podium in Vancouver will need quads?
- ABBOTT: Yes and no. Everyone said that at the last two worlds and look what happened. But with people coming back like Stephane [Lambiel] and like [Evgeni] Plushenko and [Daisuke] Takahashi it's very important.

ICE: Do I think you have to have a quad to win?
- ABBOTT: Not necessarily. Anything can happen on any given day. But I think it really sets you apart from the rest, especially if you can do it and still spin, put out a solid performance and do the rest of your jumps. It's definitely going to put you in a higher league and it will put you in a better place for that gold medal.....

--------------------------------------------------

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... d=obinsite
By Ron Judd

12 U.S. Olympians to watch in Vancouver
The U.S. Olympic team is packed with medal talent. Here are a dozen of the hottest stories entering the 2010 Winter Olympics.

From the world's most-dominant female alpine skier to a half-dozen emerging stars in completely unheralded nordic sports, the U.S. Olympic team is packed with medal talent. Here's a look at a dozen of the hottest stories from Team USA:

Evan Lysacek, figure skating

At the recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Spokane, defending world champion Lysacek called the event, where he finished second, little more than "practice" for the Olympics. He will need that practice, plus a bit more, to win gold in Vancouver, now that defending gold medalist Evgeni Plushenko of Russia has put himself back in the mix. But Lysacek, 24, who finished fourth in Turin as a much-less-polished skater, has shown the sort of grace ("sort"... :hi_hi_hi: ), consistency and athleticism to be one of the few men in the world who could knock the older Plushenko from his perch.... ("older"... ::yaz-yk: )
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Feb 2010, 09:20

http://in.news.yahoo.com/137/20100208/3 ... ys-sk.html
Mon, Feb 8 09:47 AM

Don't compare new crop to us, says skater Witt

Katarina Witt's wobbly steps on the ice rink on Sunday were a far cry from the artistry that took her to two Olympic golds and the athleticism she said had transformed her sport in the 22 years since her last victory.

The 44-year-old German, who inspired a generation of skaters when she won back-to-back titles in 1984 and 1988, donned her blades at a public rink in Vancouver before answering questions about this year's medal hopefuls.

Changes to the scoring system after a judging scandal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games have prompted skaters to attempt more complex jump combinations with South Korean women's favourite Kim Yuna regularly performing difficult triple-triples.

"It's incredible how athletic-wise it has improved but I think you should never compare what was 10 years ago and what's now," Witt, who wore jeans rather than the daring outfits she was renowned for when she was reunited with Canada's 1988 silver medallist Elizabeth Manley for a skate-around on Sunday.

"We never compared ourselves to the 60s. There is always development in the sport. Big admiration from my side for physically what they are going through."

Men have been putting more quadruple jumps in their routines, including Russia's Yevgeny Plushenko who is aiming to become the first man in more than half a century to defend his Olympic title.

As the last female skater to achieve the feat, Witt knows what it takes and was sure he was made of strong enough stuff.

"I don't think he needs any advice. He's a great competitor. He's just skated great in Tallinn at the Europeans," she said.

"He's a tough competitor and knows exactly what to do. When he goes out there he's focussed."
:co_ol:

She declined to be drawn on who would win the women's title, saying it was too close to call.

"I'm very careful ... The Olympics has its own feeling somehow. Something all of a sudden happens."
cekoni
Administrator

Re: ОИ новости и общее обсуждение || OG news & discussion

Postby Dina » 09 Feb 2010, 21:00

cekoni wrote: is not necessary to spread defeatism and depression in advance.

Кхм. Спокойная, без шапкозакидательства оценка != пораженческому настроению, это тебя кто-то обманул. :mi_ga_et:

Лично я всегда стараюсь трезво оценивать возможности своих любимцев и их соперников, при этом делать поправку на субъективность жюри/судей. Даже если результат этого анализа не слишком приятен. Жизнь профессионального музыканта многому учит. :mi_ga_et:

... In addition, I think that Chan is not in the "class" of Plushy's - he can get to the pedestal, but not and the first place - remember this my words, at the end of the Olympics. :mi_ga_et:

May be, may be..
От всей души желаю Евгению победы на ОИ, но если не будет золота, стреляться не пойду. Любая медаль на ОИ почётна, а после такого перерыва в соревнованиях тем более.

Dina wrote:Here, help yourself :-) ... as for me, you can start to chew him! ::yaz-yk:

Рано жевать, пока не проголодались. ::yaz-yk: :-)
Dina

Postby Scarlett » 09 Feb 2010, 21:51

Dina wrote:От всей души желаю Евгению победы на ОИ, но если не будет золота, стреляться не пойду. Любая медаль на ОИ почётна, а после такого перерыва в соревнованиях тем более.

Да да, я тоже согласна на любую золотую :-) медаль для Жени! Если бы Женя сезоном раньше вернулся, я бы себя спокойнее чувствовала, а так тоже буду рада подиуму.
http://translate.google.com/?hl=ru
Женя:" Очень хочется добра от людей, просто нереально хочется..."
Scarlett
Администратор

Postby Ирина » 09 Feb 2010, 23:08

интервью Яны

..."Российский фигурист Евгений Плющенко добился уникального достижения. Он выступил на четвертых Олимпийских играх - и выиграл четвертую медаль,став двукратным олимпийским чемпионом! "...
Ирина
Администратор

Postby Dina » 10 Feb 2010, 02:34

Scarlett wrote:
Dina wrote:От всей души желаю Евгению победы на ОИ, но если не будет золота, стреляться не пойду. Любая медаль на ОИ почётна, а после такого перерыва в соревнованиях тем более.

Да да, я тоже согласна на любую золотую :-) медаль для Жени! Если бы Женя сезоном раньше вернулся, я бы себя спокойнее чувствовала, а так тоже буду рада подиуму.

О, мои мысли прочитали... :a_g_a:
Dina

Re: ОИ новости и общее обсуждение || OG news & discussion

Postby cekoni » 10 Feb 2010, 10:08

Dina wrote:
cekoni wrote: is not necessary to spread defeatism and depression in advance.

Кхм. Спокойная, без шапкозакидательства оценка != пораженческому настроению, это тебя кто-то обманул. :mi_ga_et:

Лично я всегда стараюсь трезво оценивать возможности своих любимцев и их соперников, при этом делать поправку на субъективность жюри/судей. Даже если результат этого анализа не слишком приятен. Жизнь профессионального музыканта многому учит. :mi_ga_et:
----
От всей души желаю Евгению победы на ОИ, но если не будет золота, стреляться не пойду. Любая медаль на ОИ почётна, а после такого перерыва в соревнованиях тем более.

The most serene as pessimistic people, because they expect the worst and nothing can "surprise" them ::yaz-yk:

Nobody was "deceived" me ... in life it is necessary to have hope, and I'm always optimistic, until someone or something can not convince me in the contrary :plush34:
I do not "analyze" - I only support him and hope :plush47:

... and I am not prone to suicide - from where you acquire that idea? :hi_hi_hi:

P.S.... I have one question for you :plush38: - imagine so, that like you, Mishin and Zhenya now sit down and start to "analyze" his opponents and judges, and if their analysis does not show that he would win the gold medal... what do you think that they should do - not even leave on the ice, and do not fight? :ne_vi_del:
It is not sporting spirit, or healthy logic of life. :plush34: I am sure they go to gold, and this is only goal about what they currently think ... should and we :plush41: :plush1: :chir_lider:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 10 Feb 2010, 10:27

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=340717&tid=73953

... around 2' :mi_ga_et:

... Олимпийскую чемпионку Калгари 1988 года Катарину Витт спросили о шансах на победу Евгения Плющенко.

"Честно говоря, я не думаю, что Евгению нужны какие-то советы. Он прекрасный спортсмен. Он великолепно выступил в Таллине, на чемпионате Европы. Я видела его программу. У Евгения огромный опыт участия в соревнованиях. Он всегда точно знает, что делать. Когда он выходит на лед, он предельно сконцентрирован", - сказала двукратная олимпийская чемпионка и четырехкратная чемпионка мира по фигурному катанию...
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Ванкувер 2010 || Vancouver 2010