Search found 48 matches

Return

Re: Пресса о Жене, интервью Жени || Press about Evgeni ON Ic

Hello, I'm new here, though I've been lurking for a while. I feel like I should write some kind of introduction, but...

Just wanted to say that the interview was a very interesting read. I feel like I've read the truncated version before, but it's good to see the full version on the Art on Ice website. It seems like a good combination of light-hearted and serious. It was good to hear his take on the various topics, back in 2006. I also never got any vibes of hostility from the journalist; this shouldn't even be worth mentioning, since it's basic professional behaviour, but so many recent interviews surrounding Plush have featured some very hostile-sounding journalists.
by Karina
19 Apr 2014, 05:34

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: НОВОСТИ ФК|| NEWS

I'm on the fence about this whole petition. On one hand, as Cekoni wisely stated, Cinquanta resignation is long overdue. On the other hand, I find it difficult to support a petition that calls the Sochi ladies event the "worst judging scandal." I fear, with this slant, it'll just be one form of corruption replacing another. While I have my issues with the Sochi ladies event, I wouldn't put it anywhere near Plush's loss at Vancouver. Or Patrick Chan's win at the 2013 Worlds.

I do agree with the other points of the petition, though, and I don't doubt that some signatories have their hearts in the right place. Cinquanta's anonymous judging and possible elimination of the short program is just horrifying to contemplate.
by Karina
19 Apr 2014, 05:49

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Искусство, вдохновленное Женей || Art inspired by Zhenya

Mao plane and Plushy plane! Too cool.

Plush's costumes are truly one of a kind. Every one of them is so distinct, but they're all equally him.
by Karina
26 Apr 2014, 20:32

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, Plush has nothing left to prove. He is the most successful singles skater in post-war figure skating history (and we all know no singles skater save Plush has the longevity of a pairs skater).

I'm on the "too soon to say" camp for now. I just hope, if Plush returns, it will be because he sincerely wants to for himself and his fans, not to "show" the stupid hostile journalists. Completely horrendous reporting and a shame to the profession.

Anyway, let's wait to see what Plush himself says. His agent also said he'll stop competing after Vancouver iirc, and we know where that went.

I think Plush just really didn't want his competitive life to end the way it did. At the same time, it was almost... inevitable. Plush is so driven and determined that he'll keep going until he can go no further... and now it seems he'll still keep going. Maybe, he just wants his final competition to be something more than a "WD," in which case he'll compete for one more season, get a rematch with the young'uns, and be done with 2015 Worlds. I don't think he'll be too competitive if everyone else skates clean (too many things to relearn/unlearn with the COP system), but he can sneak in for a medal if others fall over.

...surely he isn't thinking of going until 2018? That would simply be insane. However, I admit a tiny part of me wants to see it. It doesn't matter if he's quadless by then and comes in 18th. Just attending a fifth Olympics would be a record. And if they tweak the judging system by then: namely, make combinations more valuable and punish falls harder... But it's a real bad idea health-wise.
by Karina
26 Apr 2014, 20:03

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Другие интересные новости || Other interesting news

I appreciate the band for using one of Plush's routines in their video. It's interesting to see how Sex Bomb fits eerily well with the song despite the absence of editing. The music isn't really my style, but it seems well put together for what it is.

But man, I've freaking had it with the bad journalism. The old adage is really true: if you're close to the news in question (or even vaguely knowledgeable about it, in my case), you'll realize how inaccurate reporting really is. This "mob reporting" has really got to stop. One person writes it as his "gold-winning performance" and everyone else follows suit without checking at all. Anyone with a lick of knowledge about figure skating--or heck, the decency to do a simple google search--will easily realize it's not a competition performance.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but Plush's actual winning performance Once Upon a Time in America is a masterpiece and I protest it being forgotten. Grr.
by Karina
26 Apr 2014, 20:27

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

See, for full disclosure, I used to work in the field. Briefly, but enough to know it's a very taxing job, with a huge amount of responsibility. And I worked with some very hardworking people. It pisses me off that these "omniscient ignoramuses" are giving the profession a bad name, misinforming the public, and somehow still have jobs. The golden rule in journalism: if there's one thing you absolutely must never sacrifice when facing a deadline, it's truth .

Even worse when I read some of the interviews. The one with Yana was particularly offensive. I can't believe that reporter was so hostile to her. I can't imagine being so hostile to an interviewee, unless they spit in my face or something. I admire Yana for being keeping it civil on her part.

I'm working with Google translate, so perhaps the tone didn't come across very well, but how the heck is Plush's outfit for his Sochi SP relevant to, well, anything? Or his Michael Jackson outfit for that matter? I mean, he's skating to Michael Jackson, what the heck was he supposed to wear?! Oh, and "two blots" on his test skate--did the person watch the skates from the Olympic gold and silver medalists? I wonder what he thought of those "blots."

...okay, trying to calm down...
by Karina
27 Apr 2014, 02:29

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@cekoni
While I'll laugh my face off if Plush returns and wins everything, I still share Lala's worry about his health. Better to be healthy and retired than (more) decorated but in a wheelchair.

Let me put it this way: I think if Plush were offered a Faustian deal in Sochi--that he could win the gold medal in individuals, but wouldn't be able to skate at all for the rest of his life... I don't think he would take the deal. And if he does, he'll likely regret it. Even more than competing, I think Plush just loves skating . I'm worried if he makes a decision that could potentially rob him of that. Of course, I'm sure he's calculated the risks and there's no way I should be "policing" his life. I just hope, if he continues competing, it's because he loves it and not because he feels "pressured" into it.
by Karina
27 Apr 2014, 01:22

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it needs to be shared, imo. Art with Plushy:

http://oduwanchatsky.tumblr.com/post/84 ... erstand-my

Hopefully there are some other Song of Ice and Fire fans here. :mi_ga_et:
by Karina
28 Apr 2014, 00:42

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Видео с Женей|| Videos with Evgeni

Thanks for the videos! Plush's comments about Yuzu are so sweet.

Btw, afterwards, I think Yuzu said something to the effect of "He really is my idol." But my Japanese probably shouldn't be trusted.

EDIT: Watched the video of Skate Canada as well. I didn't follow figure skating (the men's side, at least) that closely back then, so it's interesting to look on these old competitions. I've seen that debut of Nijinsky, of course, but with Canadian commentators. Funny how the Canadians thought Buttle could fight for the win while Terry Gannon's just like, "Well, he's not gonna catch Plushenko." Dick Button confuses the heck out of me. He said Nijinsky would be rolling in his grave over this, but by the time we got to Worlds he was praising the program to the heavens even with the fall. (Granted, Worlds performance was much better, with two quads and the 4-3-2 combo + the signature Nijinsky footwork, but this version has its own merits. Spread eagle into triple lutz + spread eagle into triple salchow, or was it loop?)

It's strange to look back on videos from those days and realize just how good Plush was. He was really out on his own post-Yagudin. While everyone else was falling apart, he always kept it together, even through injuries. Heck, he didn't even need to keep it together to win against competition like this, but he always delivered. Never won by default or relying on others to simply make more mistakes.
by Karina
28 Apr 2014, 00:51

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Женя “вне льда” (cтатьи,фото,видео)|| Evgeni OFF the ice

Well, maybe Plush will find his need for competition fulfilled by golf, rather than jumping back into quads.
by Karina
29 Apr 2014, 06:46

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Woah, really? That's hilarious! If either of you have an (English) link covering the entire incident, I'd be delighted to read it. This guy makes his own award, politics it into a national award, then can't stand the fact that the winner isn't who he wanted it to be, so he (essentially) bans everyone from voting? Oh, and can't even bring himself to present the award. Then criticizes Zhenya for not skating at the award show--I mean, who'd skate at your show after you manipulated the votes (I suspect Zhenya didn't care about the award anyway, so it was good of him to even go to the ceremony)?

A petty guy like this really shouldn't criticize Zhenya for the "good, average skater" comment. Fairly harmless (and true) remark vs. Averbukh's shenanigans.
by Karina
30 Apr 2014, 03:30

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ледовые шоу(общая информация) || Shows News

Lovely poster. LOL at the "Man" (singular) and "Women" (plural) part, but it's to be expected.

The ones on the first page are the headliners? :-) I couldn't be happier. My favourite singles skater + favourites pairs + favourite ice dance team. Of course, happening on the other side of the ocean from me, but it'll be a real treat for the Chinese fans. They really love him, judging by the fan videos. Crowd went insane when he did the half-Biellmann in 2010 (though please Plush, don't try that right now, your back must be preserved...)
by Karina
30 Apr 2014, 04:03

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: НОВОСТИ ФК|| NEWS

Not sure if this is relevant/has been posted here, but new rules:

ISU Communication 1861
Single & Pair Skating - Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking Grade of Execution

Singles/pairs: http://static.isu.org/media/143595/1861-sandp_sov_levels-of-difficulty_goe_2014-15.pdf
Ice dance: http://static.isu.org/media/143529/1860-id-requirements-technical-rules-ongoing-validity-as-of-july1_2014.pdf

--------------------

Seems like there will be changes regarding edge problems and underrotation.
- Jumps that get "e" will be reduced to 70% of base value, and final GOE will be negative. Jumps that get ! will have GOE reduced but final GOE doesn't have to be negative. (No idea how they'll determine e vs. ! objectively)
- < gets 70% of value. "e" plus < gets 50% of value. << becomes one revolution less.
- Jumps with less than 1.5 revolutions get no value. Not idea what this does to all the half-loop combinations.
- In the short program, jumps that don't satisfy the required number of revolutions will have no value.

I'm not the expert on these things (if I even read the document correctly), but it seems like it's bad news for people who flutz, lip, underrotate, or pop jumps. I expect a lot of "rotate and fall" next season. :hi_hi_hi:
by Karina
30 Apr 2014, 04:25

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Общая дискуссия о Жене || General discussion about Evgen

Lol, those people who dedicate more time to hating Zhenya than supporting their own favourite skaters... Just boggles the mind. :kli_ny: There are plenty of skaters I don't like but I don't care if other people like them. I guess Zhenya is someone that can't be ignored. :-)

It was really interesting to read all the comments (even with Google translate--which thinks "half-loop" means "oiler" :sh_ok: ) He is forever the Vancouver Olympic champion in my heart. And he is both technician and artist, no matter what narratives have been made up post-2010. Some of the comments are a bit... strange... (kinda unfair to compare young Plush with aging, past-his-prime Stojko, who was a good skater in his own right), but for the most part they really expressed the reasons to love him.
by Karina
02 May 2014, 21:09

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for the translation, Dustman! The pic where Miyu is doing the Biellmann spin makes my heart ache a little, knowing how hard Plush worked to maintain it into his twenties.

It's interesting how he delves right into Miyu's "expressive power." And haters say he only cares about jumps. :kli_ny:
by Karina
02 May 2014, 20:57

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you for the translation. In my experience, feeding Asian languages into Google translate turns out much worse than feeding Russian...

Undoubtedly, Plush had a huge range of programs throughout the years. MJ on one end, Adagio on the other (LP version would be: Once Upon a Time in America on one end, Nijinsky on the other). I always felt like he was a great mix of classical and modern, strong and gentle.
by Karina
03 May 2014, 22:07

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lol, the Russian media are probably spying on us right now, reading about what we think of their "professionalism..." My message if that's true: Hey, I know first-hand it's a tough job, but stick to the truth, alright? It's better for both the readers and the news outlet in the long term. :-)
by Karina
03 May 2014, 22:00

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Женя и его тренер А.Н.Мишин || Evgeni and his coach Mish

So he won't be doing the "test skate on June 1" or whatever it was? Thank God... he needs a longer rest period.

Next Olympics is still :sh_ок: though. Hopefully Liza can rise from the ashes and battle for Mishin, so that Zhenya won't have to keep going as his coach's only elite student... His loyalty and courage are admirable and a fifth Olympics would be glorious (regardless of result). But it's impossible not to be worried.
by Karina
03 May 2014, 21:55

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The haters who say this are simply inventing things out of their own heads. Evgeni has always cared a great deal about art in figure skating (I refuse to use the phrase "artistic skating"). Recently, when he was praising Hanyu, he especially talked about how he felt the younger skater did not merely mechanically perform the choreographed motions, but made it look like it was coming out of himself. And this is only one example out of many. And about his own programs, Evgeni usually did not say too much about them from an artistic point of view, but when he did, I was always very impressed by the sharpness and depth of his brief words.
I guess some people just don't have basic reading comprehension. :hi_hi_hi:
- Believing the quad is important and should be worth more =/= saying only the quad matters.
- For all the talk of Zhenya "policing gender norms" or whatnot after the Vancouver results: 1) He went up to (quadless, and flexible-as-a-female-skater) Jason Brown to say how much he loved his skating 2) he adores Yuzuru Hanyu, while many... other people... are making fun of Hanyu for looking/dressing girly.

I refuse to use the phrase "artistic skating" as well. Artist vs. technician is a false dichotomy. The best skaters are both. Doesn't give either side enough credit. Doesn't do any good for the so-called technicians (e.g. Plush), or the artists either (e.g. Lambiel, who people forget was a good jumper in his own right).

The documentary: When asked about the future of Japanese figure skating, Zhenya said it was Yuzuru's time. However, his favourite is Mao Asada--she takes risks with the 3A. :plush45: Hopefully the whole thing will surface soon. I admit I was really excited to see him on ice and doing twizzles (?), even though I know he really should be resting.
by Karina
03 May 2014, 21:48

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ваше творчество || Your creative works

Beautiful! I love your artwork. And how you focus on him as both athlete and father. ;)
by Karina
03 May 2014, 21:57

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Cekoni
I appreciate the translation for the documentary. I made out something about "heart" while watching, but my Japanese is too poor to understand what exactly he was saying (of course, it's clear that he cares about performances, not just jumps).
by Karina
04 May 2014, 20:17

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, it takes two to tangle. It's unfortunate the coaching situation didn't work out between Mishin and Artur--probably wasn't a good long-term fit, not that Artur was a bad student or Mishin was a bad teacher. Mishin still coached him to a World bronze and a European silver. I dunno what behind-the-scenes weirdness happened to cause his sudden decline.

I'm still rooting for Artur, because his skating is far more watchable than Kovtun's. :mi_ga_et: I hope it doesn't create another Yagudin situation of bad feelings. At least there seem to be no bad feelings on Mishin's end, judging by his interview.
by Karina
06 May 2014, 21:42

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^Woah, wonderful association artwork. The swan one is incredibly fitting. :co_ol: Makes me weep that we never got to see a perfect version of that Saint-Saens Medley, in the flashy swan outfit. And Michael Jackson outfit with a matador? Cool! A few were kinda weird (angsty blueberries?!) but it's wonderful to see this kind of creativity. Doesn't require actual artistic skills to make, either. :mi_ga_et:
by Karina
08 May 2014, 01:08

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Woah, that's a great association! Golden Plushy with a golden dragon.

Regarding the Saint-Saens Medley--what I mean is, we never got to see the "final" version he was planning--the 2-quad, more backloaded version. From what I recall, he wanted to bring that to Europeans and Worlds before his back gave out on him. ;_; We did get three versions that were good in their own ways: test skate with quad salchow, Japan Open with 2 quads, and the Russian Nationals version. But they all weren't the "ideal" skates that they could've been had Plush been uninjured: test skate was still a "work in progress," Japan Open had mistakes (but I don't blame Evgeni too much... that was the same competition where Patrick Chan fell four times :wo_ol: ), and Russian Nationals was close to perfect except for the lutz combo, but I shallowly wished he'd kept the black-and-white swan outfit. :-): I really like the Russian Nationals version, of course, and I'm grateful we got that. I'm just rather attached to this program since it's my favourite of the recent programs; I'm just a bit sad we never saw it at its full potential because of Plush's injuries.

Of course, my complaints must seem quite minor to those who saw the discarded Romeo and Juliet program. At least we got three decent versions of Saint-Saens, while that one is lost forever.
by Karina
08 May 2014, 07:01

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ваше творчество || Your creative works

^This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm kinda curious: other than Assisai, what do the others look like from the back? Same as the front, or do you actually replicate what the outfits look like from the back?

And yes, the black Dark Eyes outfit is more, well, mature. I'm partial to the gold one because I think it fits the song better (and the NHK 1999 performance is the greatest one, imo).
by Karina
11 May 2014, 00:54

Jump to forum
Jump to topic