Picture Radio

OFF topic in English

Re: Picture Radio

Postby alysonshade » 13 Oct 2011, 12:33

Something you should read... :plush34:

Marriage Is a Mixed Blessing
By Katherine M. Franke
(Professor of law and Director of the Center for Gender and Sexuality Law at Columbia Law School)
Published: June 23, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/opinion/24franke.html

"While many in our community have worked hard to secure the right of same-sex couples to marry, others of us have been working equally hard to develop alternatives to marriage. For us, domestic partnerships and civil unions aren’t a consolation prize made available to lesbian and gay couples because we are barred from legally marrying. Rather, they have offered us an opportunity to order our lives in ways that have given us greater freedom than can be found in the one-size-fits-all rules of marriage. It’s not that we’re antimarriage; rather, we think marriage ought to be one choice in a menu of options by which relationships can be recognized and gain security (...) Here’s why I’m worried: winning the right to marry is one thing; being forced to marry is quite another (...) What’s difficult to explain is that for some lesbians and gay men, having our relationships sanctioned and regulated by the state is hardly something to celebrate. It was only a few years ago that we were criminals in the eyes of the law simply because of whom we loved. As strangers to marriage for so long, we’ve created loving and committed forms of family, care and attachment that far exceed, and often improve on, the narrow legal definition of marriage. Many of us are not ready to abandon those nonmarital ways of loving once we can legally marry (...)"

alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 14 Oct 2011, 12:11

These lyrics worth reading! :co_ol:

"Hear ye, hear ye, friends and Romans, countrymen.
Hear ye, hear ye, punks and skins and journeymen
Hear ye, hear ye, my sisters and my brethren.
The time is coming near.
Now who'd have thought that after all,
Something as simple as rock 'n' roll would save us all.
And who'd have thought that after all, it was rock 'n' roll.
And I still believe (I still believe) in the saints.
Yeah, in Jerry Lee and in Johnny and all the greats.
And I still believe (I still believe) in the sound,
That has the power to raise a temple and tear it down
And I still believe (I still believe) in the need,
For guitars and drums and desperate poetry.
And I still believe (I still believe) that everyone,
Can find a song for every time they've lost and every time they've won.
So just remember folks we not just saving lives, we're saving souls,
And we're having fun. "

"I Still Believe" by Frank Turner
alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 17 Oct 2011, 12:08

Well, today Picture Radio has reached its all-time low of viewers: only 6 (and I think that one of them is me, lol!).
Not always the "500 Club" is around... :nez-nayu: No problem, it's a record even so! So, let's celebrate! :-)

"Morning found me laughing
Up and down, down
Low, low, low
Night suits me fine
And morning suits me fine
I've been so happy, happy
Way up high, high
In between
Down below
Low, low, low

We know how things go
They come and go
They live and grow
They pass and go
And glow and glow
Up and down
High and low
Low, low, low."

"Low" by R.E.M.

alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 17 Oct 2011, 13:04

A nice piece of melodic rock from Switzerland.. :mu_zyk:

"I'm playin' with the fairies
I'm drinkin' from their wine
I'm singin' to the music but
I know it's in my mind

Don't care about the maker
don't care about the world
I'm looking for the answers
while I'm walkin' in the dirt

I'm walkin' over mountains,
I sail across the sea
I meet all kind of creatures
and I feel you're here with me."

"Long Way" by 77 Bombay Street
alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 17 Oct 2011, 14:22

The most clever Contemporary Dance performance of the year. :co_ol: :bra_vo: :plush41:
I really hope you'll get the chance to watch it.

Lloyd Newson’s latest work, "Can We Talk About This?", deals with freedom of speech, censorship and Islam.
From the 1989 book burnings of Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses, to the murder of filmmaker Theo Van Gogh and the controversy of the ‘Muhammad cartoons’ in 2005, DV8’s production will examine how these events have reflected and influenced multicultural policies, press freedom and artistic censorship.

"The liberal fear of giving offence has simply
made it easier to take offence."
Kenan Malik, author of From Fatwa to Jihad

"It is very, very easy not to be offended by a book.
You just have to shut it."
Salman Rushdie

"Can We Talk About This?" by DV8 - an extract

alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 18 Oct 2011, 11:57

Dear Lala, I'm so glad when you push the Thank Button under some of my songs: in this way,
I can get an idea of which music you like most! :a_g_a: Furthermore, when you and the other Girls press this button
under my jokes, it's like I can hear you laughing! And it's so nice! :son-ce: Thank you, Girls! :plush40:

alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 18 Oct 2011, 12:49

About laughing... Have you ever noticed that? Not all laughs are alike. There are laughs able to fill your heart with joy, such as those resulting from "good" jokes, or watching a comedy, or by an unexpected event that makes you happy .. And then there are laugher which hurt like a knife into your heart. They are the laughter of scorn, they are not made to share joy with you, but to hurt you. As Richard Pryor said: “There's a thin line between to laugh with and to laugh at.” Laughing is wonderful, is even good for your health, but only if this laughter is coming from a good intention.

This Rolling Stones song talks about the hurting laughter: :plush34:

"I hate to be denied
How you hurt my pride
I feel pushed aside
But laugh, laugh, laugh
I nearly died

I'm so sick and tired
Now I'm on the side
Feeling so despised
When you laugh, laugh
I almost died."

"Laugh I Nearly Died" by The Rolling Stones

You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same.
Jonathan Davis

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mahatma Gandhi

alysonshade

Postby alysonshade » 18 Oct 2011, 18:54

Alienation.

Fight Club is a 1999 American film based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk.
The film was directed by David Fincher and stars Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter.

"Fight Club" - trailer

"By alienation is meant a mode of experience in which the person experiences himself as an alien. He has become, one might say, estranged from himself. He does not experience himself as the center of his world, as the creator of his own acts, but his acts and their consequences have become his masters, whom he obeys, or whom he may even worship."
Erich Fromm

"Man's main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is. The most important product of his effort is his own personality.”
Erich Fromm

When you're looking for Truth, all roads lead to Rome.

alysonshade

Postby let`s talk » 18 Oct 2011, 20:48

Did you know that football (in British English, not American English) is my favourite sport after figure skating, ballroom dancing and slightly ahead of ice-hockey?

FOOTBALL RULES!!! :ya_hoo_oo: :foo_t_bol: :ya_hoo_oo: :foo_t_bol: :ya_hoo_oo: :foo_t_bol:

"Осторожно! Фанатка ЕП и ДТ" (weir.ru about let`s talk)

These users thanked the author let`s talk for the post:
lala630312 (19 Oct 2011, 18:51)
Rating: 4.17%

let`s talk

Postby alysonshade » 19 Oct 2011, 12:07

let`s talk wrote:Did you know that football (in British English, not American English) is my favourite sport after figure skating, ballroom dancing and slightly ahead of ice-hockey?

Aw, really?... :-):
Well, you can get an idea of my favorite sport - after Figure Skating - watching this screen-shot.... :hi_hi_hi:

Screen-shot from "Lay It On Me" by Kelly Rowland

alysonshade

PreviousNext

Return to Visitors' discussions